I got this recipe from my former co-worker Julie Heaton. I love this chowder!! It's sooooo good! Julie made other suggestions on using this basic white sauce to create other soups such as leaving out the bacon and adding broccoli and cheese to make cream of broccoli soup. I haven't tryed that yet but I will some day.
Corn Chowder
1/2 lb. thick sliced bacon, fried crisp and cut into chunks
2-3 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1-2 cans of creamed corn
1 Qt. half & half
1 sq. margarine or 1/2 bacon drippings or a combination of the two to equal 1/2 cup.
1/2 c. flour
salt and pepper to taste
In a large pot, boil potatoes and onion in slightly salted water. (Just barely enough water to cover the veggies). Cook until tender but firm.
While vegetables are cooking, make a white sauce of the margarine and half and half. Melt margarine or bacon drippings in a large fry pan over medium heat. Add the flour, stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes. Add half & half, stirring constantly until very thick. Add salt and pepper.
Add the white sauce, bacon, and creamed corn to the potatoes (do not drain the potatoes). Stir constantly as you bring the chowder to a gentle boil. Remove from heat and serve.
*You can add more milk to make it thinner.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment